Friday 14 February 2014

The Best Scones Ever - White Chocolate and Lemonade!



Where I live it's looking like a crappy grey weekend ahead, which is an ideal excuse to get into the kitchen and bake up a storm. So to speak!

For some reason, rainy Saturday afternoons always get me in the mood to make - and eat! - scones. I swear I cannot remember making them on any other day. Weird!!

In case the mood also strikes you this weekend, I thought I'd share my favourite Scone recipe. It's a recipe for lemonade and white chocolate scones, which is the only way I make them these days.




They are really easy, come out light and tasty every time, and have never failed to please a crowd. And don't be put off by the chocolate or the lemonade, the taste is so subtle that you can add any flavour of jam or preserves you like.

The only question is, do you add the jam or cream on first?! I'm a jam first girl, but if you have any compelling reasons why I'm doing it wrong, I'd love to hear them!

 


White Chocolate and Lemonade Scones

Although I make them slightly differently, these scones are originally from taste.com.au. And I will be forever grateful!


Ingredients

3 cups self raising flour
1 cup lemonade
50g white chocolate (I use a small bar of Milky Bar), chopped into small pieces
300ml thickened cream
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon extra thickened cream for brushing
Your choice of topping

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius.

2. Sift flour into a large bowl and add salt. Stir in lemonade, white chocolate and cream with a fork.

3. Bring dough together with your hands, trying not to overwork the mixture. Then, divide the dough into equally sized pieces, and smooth them into scones. You will get about 8 large or 12 small scones out of this recipe.

4. Place scones onto a lightly floured non-stick baking tray, side by side so that they are just touching.

5. Brush with extra cream and place into the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on their size.

6. They will be ready when they are risen and lightly browned. They will also easily pull apart from each other when cooked. If they are hard to separate, they will still be doughy in the middle, so put them back into the oven to cook for a little while longer.

7. Serve warm with jam and whipped cream, or your preferred topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment