Sunday 26 May 2013

Bountiful Brownie Bites {Chocolate dipped Brownies with Coconut Filling}


If you live where I do in Sydney, Australia, you would be very much aware that the cold of winter is starting to set in. The mornings and evenings in particular have more than a nip in the air.

I love winter. Really. The warm clothes, the colours of the trees, having an excuse to wrap up and stay in with a book or a movie. And, of course, indulging in the most comforting of comfort food.


A delighful Autumn day at Audley Weir, Sydney yesterday.

However, I don't think I'm entirely ready to embrace winter just yet. Especially as I spent 3 weeks of the height of the Australian summer in the USA, where it was colder than I could have imagined. And I thought being Irish and visiting Dublin at Christmas time had prepared me for the cold. I can assure you it did not.

So, when I recently came across a recipe for Bounty coconut filling - with all its sweet coconutiness - I decided I must try it out, if only as a farewell to summer. It was fantastic and I must thank the lovely people behind this site for it.



I"m not kidding, I got this photo from a website called What to Eat When High. I love you internet!

But, as you will probably be able to tell by now, it's just not in me to spend time creating an exact replica of a chocolate bar. I have trouble following any recipe to the letter - even my own! So, I came up with an idea to top a Brownie with the filling a Bounty, and then dip the whole thing in chocolate to create a little coconut brownie bite.

And, I must say, well done me!

I don't usually love anything I make from scratch like this. By the time I've come up with the idea, done a bit of research, tested the recipe a few times, taken photos, and written up it all up for you lovely people, I can't bear the thought or the taste of the thing. But these are fantastic and you just have to try them, either by following the recipe below or bribing me to make you some.

Cash is preferable.



For this recipe I started off with a batch of The Bestest Chocolate Brownies Ever, but you could use a brownie mix if you wish or buy ready made ones from the supermarket. I won't judge, I do it myself. Regularly. For the coconut filling, use the lightest coloured margarine that you can find if you want the mixture to be white like a real Bounty. You can see mine turned out quite yellow, but that only made them a little bit more summery! These ones were covered in milk chocolate because I don't have many fans of dark chocolate around here. They were quite sweet though so I would probably mix dark and milk chocolate next time.

Here's what they look like naked.

And so to Summer, fare the well good friend. Unfortunately, I feel like I hardly knew you!

Bountiful Brownie Bites (makes 16)


Ingredients

1 batch chocolate brownies
1/2 cup thickened cream
1 1/3 cups caster sugar
1 cup (250 g) light coloured margarine
3 cups (250 g) dessicated coconut
1 - 2 blocks (400g) milk or dark chocolate for dipping and decoration

Instructions

  1. Start with a cooled batch of brownies (Can I recommend these ones to you again?!). If you can, leave them in the tin with baking paper extended over the sides.
  2. To make the coconut filling, place the cream, sugar and margarine in a small saucepan, melt and combine. Then, remove filling from the heat and stir in the coconut.
  3. While still warm, spread the coconut filling over the brownies and smooth over the top. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours until firm.
  4. Remove from the fridge, trim the edges and cut into the size you require.
  5. Melt the chocolate and decorate as you desire. If you are dipping them, do so as quickly as you can after they come out of the fridge or you might lose the filling in the chocolate. (I'm, ahem...guessing of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment